When it comes to a family’s health and development, parents play a significant role. This includes dental health. The more oral health habits are encouraged at home, the greater overall health you and your family can enjoy for years to come. Long-term oral health habits are best acquired when a child is young. Parents can help establish good dental hygiene tips for kids at an early age by modeling proper habits, talking positively about the dentist, and assisting kids as they learn how to care for their teeth and gums.
At Schererville Family Dentistry, we take the time to educate our patients about the best ways to prevent dental problems and improve oral health care. Here is a quick look at the benefits of good dental health and tips for practicing oral health habits at home.
Benefits of Good Oral Health
The benefits of good oral health reach far beyond whiter and brighter teeth. Good oral health habits can prevent bad breath, tooth decay and gum disease, and may even reduce your risk for serious health problems such as heart disease and stroke.
Optimal oral health can:
- • Prevent decay and gum disease caused by the buildup of food particles and plaque in the mouth.
- • Reduce the risk for disease as more and more studies show a correlation between your mouth and total body health. In fact, poor oral health has been linked to an increased risk for heart disease, diabetes and stroke.
- • Improve oral function. People with healthy teeth experience better chewing function, digestion and speech.
- • Retain natural teeth. Since gum disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss in adults, regular dental checkups, brushing and flossing are vital to keeping your teeth as you age.
- • Maintain appearance. Healthy teeth not only feel and work better — they look better, too. An attractive smile improves self-confidence and maintains your youth.
Tips for Practicing Good Oral Hygiene
Remember, most dental issues are preventable if you regularly practice good oral hygiene habits. Now that we have discussed the benefits of good oral hygiene, here are some tips for performing routine oral hygiene habits at home:
- • Brush teeth for two minutes, twice daily with fluoride toothpaste to effectively clean all surfaces of your teeth.
- • Brush properly by holding the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums. Using gentle back-and-forth motions, brush the outer, inner and chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- • Floss once a day to remove food debris and plaque from between teeth and along the gum line where a toothbrush can’t reach.
- • To get the maximum benefit from brushing, it is important to replace your toothbrush at least every three to four months, or when the bristles begin to fray.
- • Promote healthy eating habits by following a nutritious diet and limiting sugar treats and snacks, which accelerate the growth of decay-causing bacteria.
- • One of the best ways to maintain a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums is to visit your dentist regularly for exams and cleanings. Your dentist can detect problems early and recommend proper treatment to preserve your teeth.
Good oral health is always worth pursuing — for your kids, and for yourself. Our team is always here to support families with quality preventive dental care. If you have questions about the benefits of good dental hygiene or want to schedule appointments for your family, contact Schererville Family Dentistry today.